Wednesday, April 08, 2009

People I lived with: #2 Andrew Thompson

(A note on above: It is always wise to post pictures of friends online particularly when that photograph is both a joke and never intended to be shown elsewher)

Now to business...

Andrew Thompson and I were roommates in 2004-2005. At the time we served as Residence Advisers for what was known in residence as 3 North. Andrew had been my previous RA and I was fortunate to have him as a partner. 3 North, under the guidance and direction of Andrew and I, followed the theme of "Where's the beef?" which was a spiritual search for depth in our relationship with Christ. The title was Andrew's idea. Andrew was still neater than me when it came to our room but he was a little more messy than Brad (I think I was a cleaner than the previous year too or at least I tried)

Important Info:
When: Sept 2004- April 2005
Where: Tyndale Residence, 3 North, room 314, ex. 2314.
Best features as a roommate*: Enjoyed late nights, pizza and movies (those three often went together), he had a car (although this isn't the top feature it is a good one), he was a much wiser man than I, "glory".
Worst Features as a roommate: Andrew worked nights at the Sheridan hotel from time to time, he was a better student than me, he also had a great ability of knowing exactly what I was doing wrong and informing me in a meaningful and engaging way (which although helpful is never easy).
Would I live with Andrew again? I would have to say yes. It went well for both of us. At this point Andrew is married and therefore it is unlikely that we would ever be roommates again.


So there you have it for Andrew Thompson.
Up next: A brief discussion on the PHOB-pad

Patman the Pat

*On the note of great features: Andrew also had an uncanny ability to trick people into thinking he was being genuine (a skill I quickly learned to see through and imitate). My favorite experience of this was a time when two keen people very impressed with their own knowledge base came into our room and struck a conversation with Andrew (attempting to win his admiration through how smart they were). Andrew listened for a while and eventually chimed in with "but what about the Hulah Mundai (a clearly fictitious document)?" And these fine gentlemen of intellectual prowess, rather than look the fools, engaged Andrew on the subject of the Hulah Mundai for a good ten- fifteen minutes. I meanwhile sat on my computer holding in laughter. Eventually Andrew gave up the ruse and these intellects never came back with something to share.

1 comment:

dannyhuh said...

Must be quite a guy to compare him to Alexey Karamazov.
I could be reading to much into "Now to business." But I rank that phrase as one of the coolest things said in literature (With, of course, "My name is Inigo Montoya...")
btw, this is bazil, found your blog, been secretly getting to know you (kidding, kinda).
I'll probably read you later.