Sunday, January 18, 2009

Prehaps it is unfair to say this...

I've gotten the sense that somewhere along the line people got it into their head that marriage was the end all and be all of life. That for the twenty-something marriage is a key goal if not the key goal if you expect to be:

a) taken seriously in life
b) make something of your life
c) be happy

I happen to know a fair amount of married people who I would never take seriously, who seem to have, through marriage, amounted to nothing more than before and, here's the real kicker, are unhappy. We all know that none of these expectations about marriage are true but as is traditional with humanity we tend to say one thing and act in a different way. I just want to rant for a moment and tell anyone who acts this way to open your eyes. The bible takes no stance in preferential treatment of marriage or the single life.

If you would like to get married fine. I personally would like to get married. However if my life's goal, my daily focus, my reason for being, or my source of strength is marriage or my significant other I have to say that somewhere along the way I may have blurred the line between right relationship and idolatry (yes your spouse can be an idol in your life). I, an obviously skilled marriage and family counselor and well versed bachelor, would recommend stepping back from your life and resetting your priorities...

or at least shut up about it.

Patman the Single

No comments: