Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"I don't think the bearded lady is running around throwing eggs at people"

1980- I wasn't around. I don't really understand that world. And franky I've never understood Duran Duran. But I think high school has always been the same.

1999- I was around. I didn't really understand that world. And I hadn't figured out Duran Duran but I discovered the 80's classic the 'Rubik's Cube' And high school was just around the corner for me.

2006- I'm still around. I don't really understand the world (but I pretend I do). Duran Duran is aparently working as alook a like group for Dan Young, Nathan Colquhoun and 'Al Housel' (I never saw it). (See Below)

But what does this have to do with the bearded lady and eggs. Well about two months ago I had visited Jon Nip (My smallville and DVD supplier) to borrow a new show on DVD and he gave me his most prized collection "Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series." 6 DVDs with 18 episodes, one never aired. This little known TV show from 2000 was set in the 80s and was about a boy, Sam, and a girl, Lindsay, in high school. The boy was a Geek and the girl was a Freak. They were brother and sister and they were trying to grow up in the complex world of high school.

The show tackled issues like divorce, tough home lives, step-parents, rebellion and rocking out. It made a pretty good show on that premise alone. But not only that, mixed with the realism in the show was comedy. It was tackling issues and tickling our funny bones. It could go from sadness to laughter in a matter of seconds.

The show had great characters such as a hippie guidance councellor that wants to be 'cool,' a wise geek that offers advice to the younger geeks, and parents that will make you wonder why some people procreate.

My favorite character was Bill he was a geek and pretty much was born to play a geek (as far as I can tell)


My Favorite episode was "Tricks or Treats" where the line in the title comes from.

This was a well written show but only lasted for one season. Watch it if you can.

Pat, Man! the Pat

3 comments:

C.D. Clements said...

Dear Pat.

I liked that show as well.
The last episode was best.
As we discussed.

-C.D. Clements

uniformlydan said...

the secret to being part of duran duran is that i am in fact 46 years old.

... and my pinball score is up into the 3 million range. i will beat you yet.

David said...

Patman, I am Duran Duran...Reach up for the sunrise, oh I'm so Hungry...Hungry like a wolf...its just the reflex!

Oh man...ok yes I quite agree with Clements, Freaks and Geeks is one of my fondest memories of dorm this past year! Here's to the two best RAs, Don't let micah or Feen hear that!