Friday, May 26, 2006

First there was Monty Python, then there was Mr. Bean and now we have House M.D


Many of you I'm sure have heard of the ever so popular House. The doctor with a heart of golden sarcasm. I recently have jump on the band wagon after my friend Ryan Feeney purchased the first season. After just one episode of quick remarks and limping action. I had fallen in love with the show that prooves to us all that making fun of people is still a lot more funny then relationship comedy.

I soon purchased my own copy of the first season and downloaded the second one to catch up with the show. Even today I am still high on the intriguing season finale that aired on Tuesday.

But you may be asking 'what does an american show have to do with Monty Python and Mr. Bean?' If this is the case you havn't read the coming attractions page which tells us Hugh Laurie (a.k.a. House) is British. This was a shock to me, I never really picked up on that fact and I am all the more impressed because of his talent.

It turns out Hugh Laurie has been doing comedy for a long time. He was an actor on the British show Black Adder and is famous in british for his comedy sketches. The funniest of which (that I've found) is "The Shakespeare Sketch." Hugh Laurie is Shakespeare (see left) and Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkins or something) is a producer of the play Hamlet. It is quite witty.

Here's some sample lines:



As they discuss how to shorten Hamlet's monologue:

Producer: OK, OK. Take out `victim'; take out `coward'. Just start "To be, or not to be."

Shakespeare:
You can't say that! It's gibberish!

Producer:
But it's short, William, it's short! Listen, it flows: "To be, or not to be; that is the question." D'de, d'de de de, d'de d'de de de! OK?

Shakespeare:
You're damn right it's the question -- they won't have any bloody idea what he's talking about!
Its quite funny search for it at youtube.com under "the shakespeare sketch."

P the P

No comments: