Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Essay Distraction 2: Create a holiday

I wouldn't say that I created this holiday. I was an active participant, I was present through all celebrations and I made a fool of myself for it but I love it. Yes folks yesterday was Manwich Fest 2008.

I feel this is a perfectly acceptable way of distracting yourself from paper writing because it feels legitimate but it is clearly not a real holiday.

Here are some elements of Manwich Fest that will give you an example of how to make a holiday.

1) Make sure others celebrate it:
I am under the impression that Dan and Brad celebrated this holiday in Toronto and Halifax respectively.

2) Bring others along:
Both Paul and Danielle joined me for Manwich Fest.

3) Create liturgy:
Brad wrote this poem on the Facebook event last year and I have read it before the dining begins:

Manwich Manwich please unite
Our manly souls for now apart
Bright us together for just one night
And stir the hamburger of our heart

To spring forth in song and dance
As polka occasions the chance
Until again we will all meet
For the occasion of meat.

4) Create rituals:
We dance.

5) Regale people in tales of previous celebrations of your holiday:
Paul asked about Manwich and I told him the stories. It warmed my heart.

6) Have a Facebook event that is public:
Facebook is key to being in community and putting something on facebook makes it real. So make it an event and invite friends. This may confuse people but its ok.

7) Take pictures:
Having pictures allow for credibility.

8) Get food involved:
Everyone likes food. Plus the time it takes to prepare is time well spent.

This event was an easy way of wasting 3-4 hours of paper writing. Try it.

Pat-manwich the Pat

P. S. I have 38 pages left.

2 comments:

uniformlydan said...

Why do all of your pictures have a hazy glow to them? Was it the steam from the manwich?

Patrick Sutherland said...

nope alot of windows and a big sun