Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Banj.

Cool people shorten words to make them more awesome. Thus, this post on the Banjo is titled "The Banj"

I've posted on the banjo before. I have referenced the banjo before. And likely, sometime in the future I will once more discuss the banjo.

I really like the banjo. I always found it intriguing and cool but until I picked it up and realized just how subtle it is as an instrument and as I spend more time listening to the world of banjo the more I want to get better.

Here is a tour of great songs on the banjo:

Dueling Banjos

The most popular culture reference to the banjo known to man. It is a scene from the movie "Deliverance." Deliverance is a movie that has very little to do with bluegrass or the banjo but will forever be known for it.

Steve Martin
Steve Martin plays the banjo. He actually plays it well. In my last post there is a link to a great video of him. Here I will post a clip of him playing with Earl Scruggs (one of the best banjo players of all time, to the extent that there is a method of playing the banjo named after him called Scruggs).


Sufjan Stevens
This was the place where my love of banjo began. I'll admit I would have never touched a banjo if I didn't hear it in this context. It brought something that seemed... well... hokie... and disguised it within the college music scene. The following song is "the transfiguration." I like it.


Bela Fleck
Perhaps the best banjo player ever. Be amazed. Be intrigued. I present Bela Fleck.



Yes that is right the last clip was classical music. It just blows my mind. The banjo is not just for bluegrass anymore. It is cool.

Patman the Hick-ish