Monday, March 03, 2008

Right?

I'm wondering, as of late, what it means to be right.

It is a big deal in the church to be right. At times, it seems, you cannot be called a Christian unless you are right. We make a big deal out of everything... worship, Christian living, Christian hope, salvation and the list goes on. Arguably in many cases its important to be right... to know the truth. It is important but is it necessary in every case?

Distinctions are made between protestant and catholic. These distinctions represent diverging viewpoints on what is right. Yet I am confident people are saved on either side.

People talk about the emerging church and traditional church. The dissonance between the two is a reflection on who is right. But both are seeking to serve and love God and be His church in the world...

I'm beginning to fear that the right is leading us into the wrong. The issue of 'right' is what tears the church apart. The issue of 'right' pushes people away because they are 'wrong.' I want to ask can't we all just get along?

Now I'm not willing to bend my core beliefs and I'm not trying to open the doors to heresy. But I'm just wondering if I can be with someone who calls them-self a Christian, loves Jesus, is trying to serve Him but may be way off the mark when it comes to doctrine. Clearly I can be with them but can I be with them and not make a big deal about where they are wrong?

I think God is working in the hearts of people who pursue Him and love Him. I don't think God is as concerned with where someone is right or wrong but rather he is concerned with getting to know them and them getting to know Him.

Maybe what I'm feeling is the call to unity and understanding. Perhaps we need to be addressing the ways in which we are brothers and sisters... even though I may baptize adults and you may baptize babies.

Let's not throw the baby out with the baptizing water... rather lets put all our eggs in one basket. Right?

Peace and Unity,
Pmtp

No comments: