Saturday, December 20, 2008

Un-Non-Fiction


I've decided to try a new method of occasional blogging based on making up stories that are certainly not real and are not non-fiction. It is what I will call "Un-Non-Fiction" and while I was thinking about it I came upon this observation.

Why is fiction called fiction and non-fiction called non-fiction?

First let's get our definitions straight:

Fiction: A story or writing that is not real

Non-Fiction: A story or writing that is real

These are the standards by which we describe books but why is it that the things that are not real (ie fiction) took precedence to things that are real (ie non-fiction) to the extent that real writing is described as anti-fake writing... it seems odd.

For this reason I am titling my new segment Un-Non- Fiction.

Non-Patman the Pat

And yes this idea was inspired by reading the works of John Hodgeman... I don't dare think I will be as good but it will be fun to try.

Also the guy in the video about making money on blogging must clearly be an expert because he is like 16... and therefore he knows.

1 comment:

Kin said...

I wait for un-non-fiction.